Rice lake skiff. Outer stem: Install before or after glass?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cff

Rice lake skiff. Outer stem: Install before or after glass?

Post by cff »

I'm sure this has been covered on this and many other forums. I'm wondering what is the best approach for me to attach the outer stem? I'm thinking that I'll install the outer stem before glassing and trim the excess glass flush with outer edge of stem and them glass over the stem with an additional layer.(cloth cut on the bias) Does this sound like a good idea? I'm running into temperature related problems.. fall turning to winter.. I ran a test last weekend to see what would happen to a fibreglass layup at low temps. 5deg c. I ended up with white/cloudy fibreglass. I'm assuming that the epoxy absorbed moisture.. I also ran a test on epoxy filler tinted with wood dust. that came out fine as did any clear epoxy.. (I'll try and post a pic this weekend.) So I'm thinking I'll finish my stripping(football area) and install my stem before winter sets in and wait till spring to glass the hull. I was planning on heating the garage to glass but we had a smart meter installed last week.... :crying (Electric heat$$$$) That combined with the excess moisture/clouding of my test has put me off till spring. I figure I can finish most of the wood work that's not temp sensitive or that I can bring indoors to epoxy/glue ie.transom/ seats. Thanks, Chris
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The outer stem should be installed once the hull has been stripped. The stem will be faired into the hull after the hull itself has been faired. Your glassing schedule for the stem sounds good. You may want to install a brass stem band for protection when beaching or at least apply a minimum of 3 layers of bias cloth over the stem.
cff

Post by cff »

Thanks for the reply Glen. I just needed some confirmation on my approach. It seemed logical to me. It'supposed to get warmer here next week +12 degc so it's back at it. I have a Q about the keel. In interest of keeping a light weight build do I need an inner keel? I will be running a 3 hp outboard. It just seems a shame to go to all the work of fitting the pieces down the center line only to cover them up. I would even like to go keel less on the outside. Bad Idea??
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I don't think things are going to fall apart without the keel. But the inner keel provdes structure and an attachment for the floorboards, and the outer keel is important for rowing (maybe not so much for a motor, I don't know...).
:thinking