Seat Caning

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BearLeeAlive

Seat Caning

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I have a couple questions before I order the cane for my seat.

First(and yes, I have seen this debated before), is that I mostly find suggestions to use plastic, and am not that put off by doing so. But, I kinda would rather use natural, just because it seems to fit with a wood boat better. I know, we are using plastics and resins to finish it. :wink

The second question is how wide should the cane be? I see it in various sizes. I am considering doing 1/4" holes, and using Martin Steps seat. I might pedestal mount it, instead of side mounting though.
-JIM-
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

BLA

I recommend you Czech out this thread:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... light=seat

There are also others in the BB where you can gleen good info.

Snowman
Snowman back East
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Thanks for that link Snowman, somehow I missed it. I did see the quote in the first post in another thread.

I guess 3mm it is then.
-JIM-
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've only used natural cane in the past. It works very well. If you like the look and feel of natural cane, I suggest you use it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

Unvarnished plastic cane looks more like natural cane than does natural cane that has been varnished, in my opinion.
Alan
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

....I've used nothing but the plastic outdoor type. I ordered the 3 mm for 1/4 inch holes
and have been very happy with it. Canoes spend probably 95% of thier time
under shelter. So if you desire to use natural, ( we are wooden canoe builders after-all)
I think you should do so. I am sure you will be happy with either .

Cheers
CatFaber

Post by CatFaber »

I've only used plastic myself (had a bunch left over from the first canoe, so why not use it on the second?) but caning a seat doesn't take that long. I'd say if you want to use natural, use it--even if it rots out in a decade (which I don't know that it will) you can always re-cane. Strippers require a certain amount of maintenance anyway.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've had a pair of (natural) caned seats on a canoe that is now 26 years old. No signs of problems yet. It is however stored indoors and doesn't get allot of use so this may not be representative.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com