Building a seat back

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
podunk

Building a seat back

Post by podunk »

Has anyone built a removable seat back? I have contoured seat from Ed's canoes in a 15' Ranger and am trying to build a clip on type seat back. Good winter project I thought. I've seen some on line from Old Town and other suppliers that slide down under the seat when not being used. I just wonderd if anyone else has tried making their own. I can't really find a good picture of one or good enough to figure out how it slides under the seat. Just wondered if anyone had any input. :rolling eyes
David James

Post by David James »

Hey Podunk, take a look at the "Uniwale" subject thread. I think the idea of seat backs and the like were discussed at length. You might find it helpful.

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
podunk

Post by podunk »

Thanks David, I'd been reading that thread and that's what got me thinking about building my own. I don't do much portaging except over sandbars around here. I've used a couple of different seatbacks, most of them broke eventually. I do alot of canoe fishing and after a couple hours of floating, not much paddling, it can bother ones back. I found a good looking one at porterswoodworking.com for 46 bucks. I might just but it for a template and use it on my Madriver. Thanks again