HELP! epoxy problem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
grosmatelot

HELP! epoxy problem

Post by grosmatelot »

Hello out there.

I just slapped on my first coat of epoxy and I'm pretty sure I put it on way too thick. There are spots where I can't even see the weaving. Yikes! What have I done? Does it make sense to put the second coat on a little sooner? I'm thinking they may bond better that way and make it look more uniform...

It doesn't look bad right now, a little streaky, like it's thicker in some spots than others. But I'm pretty sure I went overboard for the first coat. Hope someone's out there tonight. Any comments welcome!

Mike
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Did you use a squeegee to remove the excess epoxy and create an even thickness?
grosmatelot

Post by grosmatelot »

THanks Glen,
Yes I used a squeegee, and it felt like an even thickness going on, but looking at it now it seems uneven. There are parts where the weaving is very obvious and some parts that are much shinier and smoother.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If there are no areas of starved cloth or any runs or sags, you can apply the next coat once the first one is no longer tacky.
grosmatelot

Post by grosmatelot »

Good, so you think putting it on as soon as possible (when not tacky) is best. Do you see any benefit putting the third on on the quicker side also?

Could I expect the dried second or third coat to look more uniform once dried?

:frightened - this is what I look like right now.

And nope, starved cloth is not a concern.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you are satisfied with the appearance of the second coat, you can apply the third when no longer tacky.

If the surface is uneven after the second coat, I would allow the whole thing to harden for a few days. Then I would lightly sand with 120 grit, clean up and apply the last coat being careful to make it even.
grosmatelot

Post by grosmatelot »

Great. Really appreciate the speedy replies. Thanks a lot Glen. I'll post the results whenever they happen!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Alright, post some pics if possible.
Enjoy your project.
grosmatelot

Post by grosmatelot »

Hey Glen,
So I went ahead and applied the third coat yesterday morning (after a short night) and this is what she looks like now:

http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 020973.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't locate a camera before the second coat and time was pressing. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result, especially considering how the first coat looked. It's not a perfectly even coating, there are some streaks and runs and a couple little spots where I can see the weaving. Should be able to fix up the runs with sanding (in a couple weeks), I'm wondering if there would be a problem with now applying a little more epoxy in the somewhat undercoated areas? It's been about a day and a half since the application of the third coat.

What relief, thanks again. [/img]
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It's a bit late to obtain a chemical bond now. Let it all harden then do the rough sanding and then you will see if any spots need a touch-up.
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

If you have a cabinet scraper, sharpen it and get after those runs while it's still green. Just watch the weave poking through.You will thank yourself later. Matthew