Sea worthiness

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jc

Sea worthiness

Post by jc »

Folks, I'm planning on building a kayak using the book KAYAK CRAFT. I plan on using it on lakes and the ocean close to shore. My questions are the following. What size waves can the endeavor 17 handle safely and where can I buy a book or DVD on kayak paddle making. Thanks
JC
willo

Post by willo »

The Endeavour is very seaworthy if you keep it within its optimum capacity. I don't know how big you are but I am 220lb and 6'2". I have yet to paddle in waves more than a couple of feet high, but have been impressed at how well it handles in high winds and two foot waves. This boat I built for my wife , I was going to build a True North for myself but now am considering another Endeavour. It is a nice design and stips very easy.
willo

Post by willo »

oops! that is it " strips very easy "
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

My original paddling with my endeavour was in semi open and very large bays (Pacific). I always felt safe in her, but did find that aft-quartering waves are a bit of work to keep the intended course, especially if they are large with a very short period. The largest waves that I paddled was 3-3.5 ft waves. I now am on lakes and slowish moving rivers. To help guage my comments, I am 6'0", weighing in at 180 lbs. I did not install a rudder (but did install a under-deck back-up block in case I changed my mind).

Overall - nice boat.

Snowman
Snowman back East