Thoughts on seat depth

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
podunk

Thoughts on seat depth

Post by podunk »

After searching this forum and others I just wondered what people thought on how low to hang seats. I know standard is 9-10 inches above the bottom but I've seen some like them lower. I know it would add stability but? Every canoe I've been in has been a production type which is about 9-10 inches. Some older posts say they would have hung them lower if they knew then what the know now. Also have seen some input on tilting the front side down some. Just wondered about others opinions and experiences. Seats are going in a 15' Ranger.
willo

Post by willo »

To kneel in a canoe your feet have to fit easily under the seat. If you have big feet you need a lot of clearance to be comfortable. There is no reason to feel you would need seats to be very low in a Ranger as they are a very stable boat. I have always installed seats at 10.5 " . I made a jig and all my seats are the same, my feet are a size 12 (13 in china).
podunk

Post by podunk »

No kneeling for me, bad knees. Most of my paddling done on moving water, more steering than paddling. Usually sit with my legs straight out using a seat back and not loaded down, daytrip type stuff. Just wondering on others experiences with low seats.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Another thing with seats that are higher up... you can sit in the bottom of the canoe and rest your back on the seat edge to relax. Mine are 11" up.

PS... it helps to have the thwart in the right place to put your feet up and really relax when the waves are bobbing the canoe around... come on, summer!

:cool
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Podunk

My paddling style matches yours.

You're right, lowering a seat gives more stability, and those that like to use a double blade for paddling like a low seat. Kayakers get by fine sitting on the bottom.

Leg length comes into play also. I have a 30" inseam.

For me a low seat is hard to get out of. I set mine at about 9".

Solo boats. I lower the front edge 1/2", to take the bite out of that edge on my legs..
On a tandem you could do the same, except if you paddle it solo, I'd leave the front seat level.

Just my 2cts.!
I'm choppin at the bit to paddle too Rick !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I hang mine about 11 inches from the keel to the top of the seat. It's high enough to get my feet under if I feel like I need more stability, such as in rough water, but low enough that the boats still feel stable. I lower the front of my seats by about 1 inch. It feel more comfortable to me, and makes it more comfortable if I need to kneel.

On my solo canoes, one has the seat just below the rails and the other has the seat lower than I can get my feet under. One the first, I had the seat in different positions. The higher I put it the less stable it got, but it also got more responsive. On another solo canoe, I always thought it was kind of boring until I tried one with the seat raised higher, then it become a lively fun canoe.

Lower seats add stability because they lower your center of gravity.