Varnishing Questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
podunk

Varnishing Questions

Post by podunk »

Getting ready to varnish my Ranger, finally. Got a couple of questions to throw at everyone.
I'm using Epiphanes gloss varnish and it probably won't be t-shirt weather in the garage, more like sweatshirt weather. Do I need to thin it, maybe 10% for the first coat and not thin the other coats? If so is regular mineral spirits okay?
Should I strain it through a paint strainer?
Also Canoecraft book says to tape off and do by sections. Is this necessary with Epiphanes? I searched all forums and haven't seen anybody saying they've masked off sections during varnishing. Just wondering what the working time is. I've 2 quarts and wonder how many coats this will produce.
Once again any input is greatly appreciated. Though I haven't posted much I think I've read almost every thing on this site and can't thank everybody enough.
I cannot wait to get this boat in the Clarion River!
Patricks Dad

Re: Varnishing Questions

Post by Patricks Dad »

I just finished varnishing a Freedom Solo last weekend using Epifanes gloss. I thinned all coats about 10% (could have thinned less). I applied with a foam brush at about 74 degrees F (1 coat every 24 hours). The coats are pretty thin (I may add a coat or 2 on the outside later - but as soon as the ice goes out she's going in!). I used just about exactly 1 Liter (3 coats inside and 4 out). I finished the inside with a (4th) coat of matte finish. I didn't sand deeply between coats but did scuff the surface with green scotch pads.

I did not mask sections as described in Canoecraft. I just did a section about 12-15" long on each side and alternated between the sides as I went. If you keep moving quick enough, you can keep a wet edge. Working at a lower temp would probably help.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
podunk

Post by podunk »

Thanks Randy,
Did you thin with mineral spirits? I know Epiphanes sells a brush thinner but I'm trying to save a little money and I've already got some mineral spirits.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I used Epifanes brush thinner. But I would guess you could use any thinner.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com