Machining Gunwales for Bob's Special

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alex

Machining Gunwales for Bob's Special

Post by alex »

I recently ordered Bob's Special plans from Bear Mountain. due to space I'd like to do as much machining as possible before I start stripping, including the gunwales. I have some 16' ash boards, does anyone know if they will be long enough?? I'm not opposed to scarf joints, just rather use one piece (since I have the material!).

I'd also like to cut scuppers on the in-wales. I plan to make 4" cuts 4" apart. If I leave 4" right at the center for the yoke to mount to, will my scuppers interfere with seat placement?? I will stop the scuppers about 36" from ends of 16' boards. I'll cut a taper by hand just before installing.
Patricks Dad

Re: Machining Gunwales for Bob's Special

Post by Patricks Dad »

16' gunwales should be long enough for a 15' Bob's Special (I've not built one but an extra foot seems like it should be plenty).

Someone who has already built a Bob's Special might be able to comment on your scupper placement relative to seats question but I doubt you should trust what you hear. Not that anyone would give you bad advice, but there are so many variables to contend with that you really need to answer this question for yourself based on how you plan to build your seats, where you intend to mount them, etc.

I would suggest you build the hull, finalize your seat design, decide where you intend to mount the seats (based on lots of factors) and then layout your scuppers to avoid scupper/seat conflicts.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Adamv

Re: Machining Gunwales for Bob's Special

Post by Adamv »

I agree with the previous post. I've built the Bob's Special, and although it is symmetrical, the yoke will not be exactly in the center due to the seat placements. I'd highly recommend saving cutting the scuppers until the boat is built and you can map them out precisely taking into account the types of seats, etc.

Cheers,
Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor