Varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
woodworkerjay

Varnish

Post by woodworkerjay »

Hi, I am just finishing sanding my prospector canoe. I have been thinking and reading about how to mount them. Everywhere I look I see that they are flush with the hull. But I was wondering if it would create any problem if I would step the outer and fit it tight to the inner, covering the hull. Has anyone done this before? Also what kind of varnish do I finish it with and where can I order it.

Thanks.
Jamie
Glen Smith

Re: Varnish

Post by Glen Smith »

I guess you are referring to capping the hull with the gunwales. Yes, this has been done by several builders. Search for "Uni-wales" and you will find Randy's excellent one piece gunwales.

You can use any spar varnish that is available locally. Most builders have their personal favorite. My favorite is Epifanes High Gloss. I have to drive more than an hour to get it but I feel it is well worth it. I also purchase their brand of thinner. At the other end of the spectrum, I have also used a very low cost spar varnish sold by a large surface store and it worked well, just a bit less shine.
Rick

Post by Rick »

...I was wondering if it would create any problem if I would step the outer and fit it tight to the inner, covering the hull.
You must be referring to the outwales..? And rabetting them out to an L-shape so that they fit over the top and outside of the sheerline at the same time?

These are on my Huron, rabetted out to 3/16" thickness and held on with stainless steel screws... they look good IMO and may be more durable, since both the top and side surfaces are covered (the Huron may get rougher treatment than others... the rabetted outwale seemed a good way to get it lighter and thinner, while at the same time maintaining some resistance to knocks and scratching, which outwales tend to get).
woodworkerjay

Post by woodworkerjay »

Thanks. Those are the answers I was looking for. Like I said I was doing some research and didn't find anything like that. This is my first of hopefully a few canoes and I didn't want to mess it up.

I did find a place in Kitchener, Innovation Paints, that has boat building supplies. And they sell a few varieties of spar or marine varnish.

Thanks again.

Jamie
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Jamie,

Be sure to show us some pictures of your gunwhales (in various states of build).

When you rabet your outwhales, be sure to measure your hull thickness and cut your rabet slightly deeper than the hull thickness so that when you mate the outwhale your final sanding on the inboard face of the outwhale allows a perfect fit of the inwhale.

I also recommend starting a new thread (or at least amend the title of this one).

Good luck - keep us posted!

Snowman
Snowman back East