Outgassing problem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Richard

Outgassing problem

Post by Richard »

I saw my first stripper at a boat show and from that moment I had to make one. Twelve months later after much pleasure and considerable pain I finished my Prospector and showed it off to anyone who would take the trouble to look.
The woodwork was all interesting and exciting, the sheathing in West Epoxy was a nightmare.
My question to other builders is: how the hell do you stop the resin trapping air bubbles (out gassing) so I have been told by the experts.
Before anyone yells, I did temperature, and humidity control the working environment.
Also Ted’s book is practically falling apart from use.
See enclosed photos of the finished article.
The hull is red cedar, inwhales and outwhales and deck Meranti, deck trim Brazilian mahogany, seats and thwart ash and meranti. I prefer mellow colours rather than the contrast of dark and light. The brass reinforcement is to compensate of the fine gunwhales, I thought the hanging bolts would need the load spreading.

Richard
shawnwaite

Another Builders page says...

Post by shawnwaite »

Richard,

I'm in the process of buidling my first boat.. I found this gentlemans page to be most helpful and accurate..

http://www.michneboat.com/

under "Builders Corner" there's a link "Fiberglassing 10"1 which mentions "out gassing". It made sense to me..

to each his own.

S.
Steve Lansdowne

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

I'd suggest one epoxy precoat, laying on epoxy when the temperature is falling (e.g. evening), using a slower curing hardener so that you have a chance to move around and squish the bubbles before they harden (e.g. System 3 slow hardener), checking regularly for bubbles every 30 minutes or so until the epoxy reaches the green stage, and adding a few drops of Beano to the whole mixture!!!
KenC

Post by KenC »

Beano??? What's Beano???
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I believe "Beano" is a pill that will prevent YOU from "outgassing" after eating beans.

Outgassing problem

Post by Guest »

Thanks to everyone who repliid especially Shawn, the website he posted seems to answer all the questions. My wife thought that Beano sounded a good product and suggested I buy some.
Richard