Cockpit Recess

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Gufer

Cockpit Recess

Post by Gufer »

I am building a BMB Resolute and am planning to recess the cockpit. I have KayakCraft and it doesnt talk about a recess. I also have Nick Shades book and that gave me a lot of info. From what i've read in the forums, most recesses start a couple inches in front of the cockpit. Generally at the peak of the deck. They end a few inches behind as well. As far as I can tell, the shape is all about aesthtics, whatever looks good on each boat. I guess i'm just looking for some confirmation before I cut a huge hole in the deck! Are there any structural considerations that need to be made? Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, thinking ahead a bit. I had questions about the gaurd strip. I never liked the look of plugs. Is there another way of attaching it other than screws? Epoxy? What if I dont use one and tape the seam with glass? Will the final sanding remove any ridges from the extra layer of glass? This is my first stripper and my first time working with fiberglass.

Thanks in advance for your help.

After countless questions from family and friends asking how the progress was coming along, I decided to create a photo site. If anyone is interested feel free to take a look.
http://timskayakbuild.shutterfly.com/

Tim
Glen Smith

Re: Cockpit Recess

Post by Glen Smith »

For a recessed cockpit, I extend the recess about 2" forward of the cockpit and 2" on the sides. At the rear, I go with at least 4".

I thought about installing guard rails without fasteners but you need to be able to clean up the squeezed out epoxy and using tape would hinder that operation. If you used screws to fasten the deck to the hull, you will want to hide the screws or screw holes somehow. If you did not use screws, you can round over the edge and apply 2" wide strips of bias-cut cloth after fastening the deck to the hull. You can scrape the edges of the seam cloth while still green then feather-in with 120 grit paper. You can also use a neat trick from Vaclav at One Ocean Kayaks: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/Shop23a.htm
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Speaking of kayak cockpits, Vaclav also describes a fine method of coaming construction using woven carbon fiber fabric. Look at the Builder's Pages, sections 15 & 16.
I just finished building my cockpit coaming and rim using carbon, and am very happy with the results. I'll post pictures soon!

Jeff
Gufer

Post by Gufer »

Numbers like that are exactly what i was looking for! Thanks. Everything I had read up until now had always said stuf like "cut the recess a bit bigger than the cockpit" or "use the recess pattern that came with the plans". That helps a lot.

I guess i'll have to ponder the guard rail issues a bit longer. I have not screwed the deck and hull together yet because of this. If i use the guard rail then i will.

Thanks again

Tim
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I found one of my archived photos showing the cockpit cutout in the recess.

Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Sweet looking recess, Glen.

You can also get the coaming lip lower by inserting a plywood cockpit pattern inside the recess cutout at the height you want and then stripping down to the plywood. I wrote about the kayak cockpit recess process that I use in slightly more details on my website.

I think the finished recess looks pretty cool, and it really allows you to get that recess even with the rear deck. In other methods, it's much harder to do.