sanding & sheathing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
anthony karakas

sanding & sheathing

Post by anthony karakas »

Hi everyone,

I have two questions:

1. I'm preparing to "raise the grain". Must the hull be free of all epoxy filler stains before i raise the grain?

2. I'm confused as to how much epoxy i will need for sheathing the hull. Page 75 of CanoeCraft states "2 gallons epoxy resin and hardener" for the entire project. However, on page 142, under the heading "Sheathing the Outside of the Hull", it says "about 2 gallons total". Since i've started the project, i have a little less than the original 2 gallons i purchased at the beginning, having used some on the stems and on making filler. Does anyone know how much i will actually need? I am building the 15' ranger.

Thanks in advance for all advice!
willo

Re: sanding & sheathing

Post by willo »

when you wet the hull to raise the grain any spots of glue and filler stand out. This will be what you will see under the epoxy after it is covered. If the areas you are concerned about disappear when wetted , then you won't see them under the epoxy. 2 Gallons of epoxy is more than enough to do a Ranger , you will have a bit left over, I find I typically use 1.5 gallons / build.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I agree, just finishing a 15.5 ft Hiawatha and used a little over a gallon and half of resin and just under gallon of hardener.
anthony karakas

Post by anthony karakas »

Thanks for the advice!