Fnished Canoe and now I have problems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
barrm

Fnished Canoe and now I have problems

Post by barrm »

I picked many people's brains and before I do something drastic I figured I should login and see if someone can come up with a solution for me.
I have encountered a problem as I finished my first stripper. The fit and finsish is (or should I say "was") amazing if I do say so.
When applying my varnish to the exterior everything was fine until I got into the 3 /4 coats. I began to get soft spots in the varnish and all of a sudden I can see tiny speckles as if I can see the weave of the cloth which certainly wasn't visible before.
I can't figure out why I am having difficulty months later with this....Epoxy was applied in November and sanded soon after.
I applied some light hair dryer heat this evening and the varnish became more malleable. This is sickening.
I washed the hull thoroughly with water only....
Advice needed please.
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glen Smith

Re: Fnished Canoe and now I have problems

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Mike, as I said in my email message to you, this seems to be surface contamination or incompatibility between the epoxy and the varnish. It has happened before as noted in Susan Van Leuven'sook "Illustrated Guide to Wood Strip Canoe Building".

You will most likely need to remove the varnish and start over again with another brand.

BTW: What epoxy did you use? What varnish did you use?
barrm

Post by barrm »

Behr UV Spar
MAS epoxy

Another builder seems to think I have uncured epoxy causing the problem. Even though it was applied in November and seemed hard, it was not. If this were the case, I will have a mess to get down to the wooden hull and piece in new cloth.
Disappointing.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Seems strange to have it show up in the 3rd and 4th coats...How are you heating your workspace? Any chance of constimination from a diesel stove of something?
:thinking