Lofted the Wee Lassie II

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TC in Twin Lake 1

Re: Lofted the Wee Lassie II

Post by TC in Twin Lake 1 »

I did. I was able to glue some cedar strips on the #1 station mold and re-fair the curve to my liking. It was a little difficult with the strip in place but soem handy work with the plane, spoke shave and chisel and I got it looking good. I ran several full strips at different, representational locations at the repair and faired accordingly.

I feel better about it. Now that I am on my second the confidence level is higher since I have weathered booboos and mishaps on the first one.

Thanks

Todd
TC in Twin Lake 1

I have been noodling over my problems now for a while and I have finally figured it out. Since I used the vlaues in mac's book for stations 1, 2 and 3for the keel it has thrown everything out in that area. Not bad it is just making my middle station just not right. WHat I figured out is that stations 2 and 3 are a wee bit too high ie about 1/8" because I set them higher to make the keel line fairer. When I did this it raised every thing and now at the curve of the bilge the strips between stations 2 and 2 are pulling up from my middle station and if they are forced down it is creating a flatter spot that I can't live with.

I have 7 strip on each side at this point.

Sooooo, I am now gluing in thin strips of wood and refairing the middle station to make that curve fair. Doing this is creating a little fatter midsection and a little rounder bilge at this area but I am now to far along to correct it any other way. I thought about pulling out station 1 and reworking it completely but I have decided to leave ita and be consistent with the wood I add on each side to keep the turn of the bilge the way I want it.

I wish I had the right keel numbers when I lofted or at least I wish I had caught it sooner.

I will post some pics to show my dilema. I am just venting a little.

One bright spot is I now have all of my aspen skarfed and planed to thickness and will be bead and coving soon. The seven strips I have used at this point are left overs from the last canoe.

Todd
TC in Twin Lake 1

Finally got my aspen strips machined yesterday. All in all it took me 1:45 to do 54 16' strips bead and cove. I am getting better and faster! They did fuzz a bit in places but not bad. More stripping this week! Life has been hectic so time has bee at a premium. I hope to get it stripped by the first of October. We shall see!
TC in Twin Lake 1

Hah, first of October. More like the middle of December but life has a way of doing that!

Finished stripping about 1 week ago and had to run an accent strip down the middle cut in after I was complete because I cut my last 3-4 strips to short and pulled the keel line down to force the gap to disappear. This worked well between the station molds with ratchet straps but you can imagine what it did to the bottom of the canoe. Looked like slow rollers on Lake Michigan!. So I cut the center glue joint to bring the bottom back up to a fair line and marked out and let in a +/- 1/4" ceder accent strip to make up the difference. Not perfect yet but when I fair and fill I think it will look ok.

I know I asked earlier in the thread but anymore thoughts on working this aspen to minimize tear-out? Its bad even with a newly sharpened plane or spoke shave. I thought of going down to like 36 grit on my ROS and going that route but wasn't sure. Thoughts?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Have you tried a cabinet scraper?
TC in Twin Lake 1

No i have not. I did go over the hull with my paint scraper to get all of the glue off first and did notice a little tear-out when I bore down on it but will try a cabinet scraper. This is by far my least favorite tool for this work so maybe that is why I didn't think about it.

Thanks Glen, I will give it a try.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I agree with Glen, you might find the cabinet scraper is what you need. I learned how to use and sharpen cabinet scrapers for doing my hulls and I consider it one of the tools of choice.

Have you got any recent pics of your Wee Lassie II?

Snowman
Last edited by Snowman on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman back East
TC in Twin Lake 1

I do I just need to post them!
TC in Twin Lake 1

The stems are now glued on and I think I will be doing a lot of scraping on the aspen. In the one picture you can see the tear out from planign and using my spoke shave. It wil be a long process but always worth it in the end.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

that strip down the center to fill in the gap worked out well :applause

some of the paulownia i'd been supplied with had similar tear out issues to the pictures of the aspen you showed. i put those to one side, but by the end if the stripping i got disparate for material and had to use it. i filled the nasty bits with the same unthickend epoxy i'm going to use to glass the hull and then found a cabinet scraper worked fantastically well at removing excess epoxy without removing half my timber with it.
TC in Twin Lake 1

update! I have been using my french curve shaped cabinet scraper and have had great success. The aspen is a little harder than cedar and the scraper works better on the aspen than I found it to work on the ceder. I have one side almost faired ready for sanding and the other side about 60%.

Has anyone tried the veritas scraper sharpener/burnisher and does it work?

Todd
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I just used a file to sharpen and a screwdriver shaft to burnish.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I have the Veritas tool to burnishing and it is good for straight scrapers but I'm just use a screwdriver type burnisher for a curved scraper. Veritias has a curved scraper that worked well for me. It is like a straight scraper but the edges have an arc instead.
White River

Post by White River »

I chnaged computers and had fits with my user name and password so now i am new!

I am sanded out with 80 grit at this point. The scraper worked well and I was able to get most of my tear out fixed. I hope to do my out side 'glassing in the next two weeks.
White River

Post by White River »

It's done!!! I have been out in it twice now. It is extremely fast but is a very slow turner. I took it up stream yesterday on a rain swollen river and struggled to keep it straight. All in all I love the final color scheme and the shear fact it is very light. My next project is going to be a lapstrake sailing peapod. Thanks for all of the advice along the way!