Lofted the Wee Lassie II

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TC in Twin Lake 1

Lofted the Wee Lassie II

Post by TC in Twin Lake 1 »

Well it is official! I am hooked! One wasn't enough. I lofted the Wee Lassie II from Mac MacCarthy's book and have the molds traced and ready to be cut. I am going to build another strongback and build this and another ranger this coming winter since I will be joblesss again come october. I realized that I can maximize my time if I have two going at the same time shifted just a bit in time frame.

I was thinking of going to a 3/16" strip on this one. Any thoughts or concerns I should look out for?

Thanks

Todd
Jim Dodd

Re: Lofted the Wee Lassie II

Post by Jim Dodd »

You will have fun !
I have a set of plans for the Wee Lasse II from Mac.
I compared them to other plans and found them nearly Identical to the Arkansa Traveler from the Adirondak Museum, only closer station spacing.
Back to your original question.
I think 3/16" strips would be ideal ! I'd bead and cove for sure.
Making the bends near the stems are tough, and the thinner strips would help.
As far as strength, that little hull does'nt need 1/4" strips.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Funny how building one canoe leads to another !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Todd -

I built the Wee Lassie II from 3/16 Honduras mahogany using bead and cove strips cut with 1/4" router bits. The whole build is documented on my web site, http://michneboat.com. Click through to my site, then click Builder's Corner. Scroll down to BUilding the Wee Lassie II.

- John
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Great site John !!
A wealth of knowledge there !

I think every builder has come up with a different way to skin a cat. I guess that's why I like this site !

Nice job of the Wee Lasse II !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
TC in Twin Lake 1

I got my molds sanded down and ready to mount on my stongback. I am looking forward to this project this winter.

On a side note I am going to pick up all of the molds for a haven 12 1/2. It was a deal i couldn't pass up. It looks like I may be branching out into daysailer construction!!

Todd
TC in Twin Lake 1

Stems are bent and glued and I got half of my mold sset last night so it is time to get some strips cut!

I really want a light colored canoe this time and was thinking of going with basswood for the strips. My trim will me ash.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Todd
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If using basswood, you could reduce the strip thickness to 3/16" to compensate for the extra weight of the basswood. Scratches don't show as much on light colored strips so they are ideal for the bottom of the hull.
TC in Twin Lake 1

How is the bending/twisting property of Basswood? I am concered mainly with the cheeks and bilge curve at the bow and stern on this design.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have only used it as accent strips but I had no problem with bending and/or twisting when using 3/16" strips.
TC in Twin Lake 1

A few candid shots of my basement laboratory.....and my new build.

My stem steam box made up of my wifes kettle, a piece of aluminum gutter downspout and a few rags oh yeah and the gas grill side burner. worked great.
TC in Twin Lake 1

I placed the first strip last noght on each side and found that the middle station mold is way to high and about 3/16" to narrow at the shear on each side. I nailed the strip to each mold so at this station I just pulled it out the 3/16" on each side to give, what looks to me, a fairer curve at the shear. I will have to add material to this mold now but no biggy just a little more difficult now that I have one strip run.

I guess my question is has there ever been a correction published anywhere to fix it? Once I started looking at the station hieghts at the keel line I noticed(why not when I lifted it to paper i will never know!) that three stations from the middle are all at 16-1/2" at the keel line and the middle statiion jumps way up to 16-7/8".

Thanks

Todd
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Todd, I have some corrections for the Wee Lassie II.
Mold 3 height = 16 & 5/8".
Mold 2 height = 16 & 3/4".
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I found this info on Mac's website: http://www.feathercanoes.com/html/q&a.html

Hmm, I didn't realize Mac passed away in March.
TC in Twin Lake 1

Well, looks like my wee lassie will be a little flatter in the middle or I try to glue some wood on and refair in place. Hmmm.

I am leaning towards running with what I got. The bottom is more flat but I don't think that will make too much difference?

Ugg.

Todd
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

If you only have one strip on each side, pull it off and fix the problem. You'll be happier in the long run.