Getting Raka 350 into Canada

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Sawdust

Getting Raka 350 into Canada

Post by Sawdust »

Hi All,

Time to tap into the knowledge base - again!

I'm looking at my options for getting epoxy and glass for my prospector. I've almost finished stripping it - should post a photo or something.. I like the look (and price I'll admit it) of the Raka 350.

I know there was a thread a while ago about getting the stuff into Canada, but it is quite old. Does anyone have any more information on this, I know there are issues about hazmat and the like. I tried calling the border information line and they said I could bring it in but I should check it was a permitted item with Health Canada. I've no real idea what this means, couldn't really find any information on it and the MSDS just gave me an unpleasant flashback to organic chemistry lectures and an uneasy feeling..
:thinking

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone brought this stuff in recently, roughly how much did shipping and brokerage cost , and were there any problems?

Also has anyone actually got it shipped to the border and brought it back in themselves? If so how much was the shipping within the US - the Raka website seems rather vague on that... I'm tempted to do that myself, but don't want to find myself at the border with $300 of resin I can't bring in..

I'll maybe try calling Raka next week if I can get home for lunch, but I work outside in the week and would rather not try calling Florida on my cell if I can help it.. :shocked

Thanks in advance,
Rob.
DSJ

Re: Getting Raka 350 into Canada

Post by DSJ »

I've had it shipped directly to me twice. Unfortunately, they will only ship via UPS.

A few months ago I got a 3 gallon resin kit, 3 pumps and 12 yards of cloth. I paid about $60 for shipping and around $80 COD for HST and UPS' ransom (brokerage)

Even though the shipping and fees were expensive, the total price was still less than anything I could get locally. I ordered on Tuesday and recieved it on Friday.

They will also combine different hardeners in an order at no extra cost. Last time I got 3 quarts of 350 hardener for fiberglassing and a quart of 610 fast hardener for gluing.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I can echo what DSJ said, no issue at all on them sending to Canada. I just got a large order from them. They tried to tell me that the UPS shipping included brokerage, but it didn't. UPS is a major ripoff for ordering stuff into Canada from the US, their brokerage fee is nothing but a major scam.

If you talk to the guys at RAKA and insist that they use the USPS/Canad Post route, I bet they would. Though, with the rotating postal strikes it may take a bit longer.

Have I mentioned yet that I hate using UPS? :rolling eyes
-JIM-
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Thanks for the replies guys.. Given that you've said you had no problems, I just ordered the stuff from them. I see what you mean about the brokerage too. I had a look on the UPS website and as far as I can tell you sign your life away with regards to the fees, they have a fee for everything - including a fee for paying the fees..

So I've had it shipped to a place the other side of the border which charges $5 to receive a parcel, and I'll go down there and get it myself. I figure if they get it in fine then I should too, and without brokerage...

Rob.