hole layout for caning

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jason_D

hole layout for caning

Post by Jason_D »

For a square or rectangle seat 1/4 inch holes are spaced 3/8 of an inch from the edge and 3/4 inches apart. I wanted to make an oval seat (more of a 'D' shape actually) and I couldnt find any information on the hole spacing. I am going to make seats kind of like the one seen on this boat.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/guestbook_101.htm

Will the holes line up correctly with the same spacing or does the spacing need to be adjusted around the curves?

Thank you
Patricks Dad

Re: hole layout for caning

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm no expert on this subject but I would think that if you consider the holes in a rectangular or square seat as the edged of a large grid, you could draw the shape of your actual seat (whatever shape it is) over that grid. Then identify the points where the grid for a square/rectangular seat would intersect with your seat frame and drill holes there. This should keep the spacing between strands of cane consistent. This would result in a somewhat larger spacing on portions of the seat that are at a diagonal to the square grid...

make sense?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
David James

Post by David James »

I'm no expert either, but just yesterday I finished caning a rectangular seat - easy hole layout - and the process is fresh in my mind...
In Gil Gilpatrick's instructions, he focusses more on keeping the cane parallel as you go, skipping holes to keep it so. I would try to skip the same holes on each side of your "D" shape. You'll want to go with the 3/8" spacing as well as the 3/4" (approximate).

The process is really pretty forgiving. Try it, it's a fun little project.

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
DSJ

Post by DSJ »

I laid out the holes for this backrest by marking the spacing on a straight piece of scrap planking, then clamping it square across the frame, and finally transfering the layout to the frame with a 12" square.
Jason_D

Post by Jason_D »

Patricks Dad wrote:I'm no expert on this subject but I would think that if you consider the holes in a rectangular or square seat as the edged of a large grid, you could draw the shape of your actual seat (whatever shape it is) over that grid. Then identify the points where the grid for a square/rectangular seat would intersect with your seat frame and drill holes there. This should keep the spacing between strands of cane consistent. This would result in a somewhat larger spacing on portions of the seat that are at a diagonal to the square grid...

make sense?
That does make sense. I will have to try it. The method DSJ used sounds like it would produce the same hole spacing.

Thank you for your input everyone. If anyone has made seats like this and has time to post a close up picture so I could see what the caning should look like I think it would help.

Thank you,
Jason