Seat position in a Rob Roy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
David James

Seat position in a Rob Roy

Post by David James »

I'm wondering where the seat should go in my Rob Roy? How far back from the bow, or from amidships should the leading edge of the seat be? Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Dave

P.S. - some day it will get launched...
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Seat position in a Rob Roy

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I had the same question about the Ranger that I am planning to build (before I looked carefully at sketches on page 51). I believe that the Ranger seats should be placed between mold stations 2 and 3 (for bow) and centered over mold station 4 (for the stern)

When I look at Rob Roy, it looks like the rear of the seat sits a bit aft of mold station 8.

If I am wrong, someone chime in and set me straight
Glen Smith

Re: Seat position in a Rob Roy

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Dave, you will have to find the balance point of the canoe. To do this you can position a piece of pvc or abs pipe on the strongback and find where the canoe balances on the pipe. Now measure 16" back (toward stern) from the balance point. This will correspond to the rear limit of the seat.

Edited: That should be 16" back corresponds to the front face of the backrest thwart. The seat should be positioned according to your comfortable position ahead of the thwart.