Cockpit Layout for Venture 14

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
UniCacher

Cockpit Layout for Venture 14

Post by UniCacher »

I am in the end stages of my first build, a Venture 14. I did the lofting by entering the information from Kayak Craft into AutoCAD and printing full-size mold prints. (I'm a little tied to numbers and hesitant to wing it on this project.) Now I'm to the point where I have to cut a hole for the cockpit and I'm not sure where to put it or how to shape it. I know that balance is critical, as is the ability to add a spray skirt. Is there a stock cutout template? What have others done here?
willo

Re: Cockpit Layout for Venture 14

Post by willo »

The nice thing about buying plans is that all that info is there. On the venture plans the cockpit is located forward of station 7 to aft of station 9. The plans come with a cut out, if you don't have the plans you need to either buy a pre made rim that will come with a template or you need to design your own. Bear Mountain sells a kit. If you want to make your own take a look at oneoceankayaks building pages and Nick schades builing pages at guilemotkayaks.