Extra Coat of Epoxy After Sanding???

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
woodworkerjay

Extra Coat of Epoxy After Sanding???

Post by woodworkerjay »

Hi, I am just finished my sanding like the fellow said a couple of posts ago. I wasn't sure if it was still being discussed in that thread so here is my question.
I read on another site by someone who built a canoe that after they had finished sanding they added another coat of epoxy before they varnished. Is that ok? Or is it not needed?
Thanks.

Jamie
Patricks Dad

Re: Extra Coat of Epoxy After Sanding???

Post by Patricks Dad »

If the finish you reach after your sanding process is smooth and fair and covering the glass, there is no need for another coat of epoxy. You will just need to resand it before you varnish.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
woodworkerjay

Post by woodworkerjay »

Thanks for the advice. It made a little bit of sense to me to do that, but like I said I wasn't sure.

But I went out yesterday to pick up some spar varnish at a place in Kitchener,On for varnishing my canoe and they were out of business!!! So does anyone know where I could get some varnish??

Thanks

Jamie
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I won't be able to proivde advice for local purchase of varnish but be sure your epoxy is absolutely cured before you varnish. I usually end up (due to other activities) having more than a month between epoxy and varnish but other builders wait much shorter times (follow manuf directions). A week or more appears to be typical.

Also, be sure there are no compatibility issues between the varnish you choose and the epoxy you have used.

Best of luck! I'm sure your craft will turn out wonderful. It will be something for you to be proud of for the rest of your life.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
DSJ

Post by DSJ »

Pretty much any decent hardware store or paint store should have spar varnish.

I've had good luck with Wood Shield brand from Home Hardware. It's thier private label brand.

Stay away from the newer waterborn uv ressistant polyurethane finishes. I've found that they go cloudy when they get wet.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Stay away from the newer waterborn uv ressistant polyurethane finishes.
but be sure whatever you use does have UV resistance (that's the primary reason for the varnish).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com