unusual additional tool for laying cloth/resin work

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alick burt

unusual additional tool for laying cloth/resin work

Post by alick burt »

Hello folks
I had an interesting conversation with a chap today who used to work on the mouldings for formula one racing cars and he told me he used to use a tool that consisted of a number of metal washers fixed(side by side) to a small paint roller handle forming a small metal roller that he claims is good for getting cloth to lay down when it is being stubborn and keeps lifting in corners such as our bilges.
Does anyone out there have experience of such a device and does it work?
He would clean lt out after use in thinners and re assemble next day.
Regards
Alick
Glen Smith

Re: unusual additional tool for laying cloth/resin work

Post by Glen Smith »

That tool is called a "mat roller" and is normally used to wetout fiberglass "mat" which is a thick mass of fiberglass strands. When used with cloth it can damage the fibers if rolled with too much force but I know some builders have used it with success to eliminate air bubbles and floating cloth. If you wish to try it, I suggest you try it on a test panel first to see if you can get the desired results.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've seen a variety of different shapes and sizes in this type of tool. Here's an example:

http://store.raka.com/aluminumheadlamin ... llers.aspx

I have read reports of people using them with success. I have a couple that I bought for my last build but never used them as everything worked just fine using the old methods (I was thinking it might come in handy with the tumblehome chine on the Freedom Solo). Had not considered a concern about the "washers" damaging the cloth. Agree that it would be worth an experiment before going "whole hog".
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I bought one from Newfound a few years ago. I thought it would be nice to have every tool available to man. Problem was, I didn't have the nerve to use it. It sits in the drawer looking pretty.
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thank you for your interesting replies guys
I will maybe give one a tentative try on my next canoe.
:applause
regards
Alick
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I've used them. They work well for getting any bubbles out of the layup.