3/16" Strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danny Turner

3/16" Strips

Post by Danny Turner »

I got my strips for my new Abeneki 16ft ripped a bit too close to the 1/4" mark and by the time I finish planeing they will more than likely be 1/16". Can I expect problems with this.Should I add a second layer of fibreglass to the hull?
Suggestions gratefully received from all you folks.http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... f22c70c081#
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Glen Smith

Re: 3/16" Strips

Post by Glen Smith »

3/16" strips will be fine. You can even use the 1/4" router bits to form the bead and cove if desired. If you expect this canoe to see heavy use, you could double the cloth in the football area (area beneath waterline) both inside and outside. Double cloth outside adds abrasion resistance, double cloth inside adds puncture resistance.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

3/16-inch strips deflect more which means that the breaking strength is equal to that of the stiffer 1/4-inch strips. Once you start adding extra layers of glass, 3/16 actually gets stronger than 1/4-inch strips.
Danny Turner

Post by Danny Turner »

Thanks for your comments. I feel a lot better now.
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.