Ranger 15 Bow Height: Error in specifications?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
HighPlainsDrifter

Ranger 15 Bow Height: Error in specifications?

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I have completed lofting the mold stations for the Ranger 15. I am now checking dimensions on my drawings to the published specifications of the Ranger 15 (shown on this WEB site and in the "Study Plans and Catalogue").

From my drawings I come up with a bow height of 23 1/4 ". From the tables of offsets and using the corrected stem values, this same value can be calculated (by subtracting 1 1/2 from the profile value of "station 0" (24 and 6/8)

profile station 0 = 24 and 6/8
sheer of bow stem is taken to be 1 and 1/2" from base line.

Specifications indicate bow height is 22".

Specs also show Prospector 16 as 19.25, but if you do the calculation from the offsets you get 23 and 1/16
Last edited by HighPlainsDrifter on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ealger

Re: Ranger 15 Bow Height: How measured?

Post by ealger »

Looking at the bow mold upside down:
The distance from the strongback to the waterline is 21".
From the water line to the bottom of the inner stem is 1-1/2".
Adding another 3/4" for the innerstem, brings the "height" to 23-1/4".
I believe your dimension of 23-1/4" is correct.

I was not successful in lofting my molds so I bought the plans. I'm happy I did.
Ed..
Ed Alger
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Ranger 15 Bow Height: How measured?

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Ed
Thanks for responding to this post.

So, you have the "store bought" prints and you also get 23 and 1/4. I was thinking that there was a change in the plans. So, I guess there is an error in the published specs.

I think I am getting the upper hand on my loft attempt. I am now playing around with the first 7.5 feet of the side-view drawing. I decided to do that as a check of my station molds and because I have been swept up by plotting these sweet lines.