Thinning Spar Varnish (orange peal)

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
David_L

Thinning Spar Varnish (orange peal)

Post by David_L »

I started varnishing my seats, yoke & thwart with Benjamin Moore 440 spar varnish. After the varnished dried I noticed orange peal on some areas. I did wipe the wood down with mineral spirits. I read were it could be the varnish is too thick and not allowing it to flow properly. The spec sheet for BM 440 spar varnish says not to thin it. I don't see why I couldn't use mineral spirits to thin it 10% or should I warm the can up in hot water?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... hqClKYWEMQ

Thanks,
Dave
DSJ

Re: Thinning Spar Varnish (orange peal)

Post by DSJ »

A couple of things.
By wiping with thinner, you probably raised the grain of the wood. A light sanding would be necessary to knock the fuzz off before you varnish.

The mineral spirits may have reacted with the varnish causing your problems.

It sounds like you have only put on one coat so far. You may have put it on too thick.
Sand it smooth and add another light coat, then repeat.
fonz

Post by fonz »

DSJ is on the money, sand and start over. Don't ask me why but benjamin moore 440 spar varnish can not be thinned.I'm sure thats what caused your problem
David_L

Post by David_L »

Thanks for your suggestions. This will be good practice before I do the canoe.

Thanks,
Dave
sedges

canoe hull will be different

Post by sedges »

as you will be varnishing over cured epoxy rather than bare wood. I have never thinned the Impervo 440 spar varnish and have had great results. Make sure on seat frames that you apply thin coats. The early coats could actually be wiped on.

Its a bit late for this now, but I highly recommend epoxy resin as a base for varnish or paint. For seat frames I coat them with epoxy applying it and then wiping the excess off. Let them sit for a week for a thorough epoxy cure. Sand with 120( 80 if there are drips) apply first coat of varnish, sand 220 or wet sand 220 and a second coat of varnish. Varnish seems to last much longer over epoxy than any other surface.