nitrile rubber gloves

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
pawistik

nitrile rubber gloves

Post by pawistik »

Hello folks,

As someone who works in a lab I'm pretty familiar with what we term "PPE" or Personal Protective Equipment". One of the important consumables in boatbuilding is gloves. Unfortunately what I've seen in hardware stores is way over-priced crap. The ones I buy for the lab at work range in price from $5.26 to about $8.00 per box of 100 nitrile gloves. (The price variation is dependant on the quality - I buy better ones for when it's warranted.) I buy nitrile because my hands have become sensitive to latex over the years (any minor scratches or abrasion will develop into a rash).

So, when I saw nitrile gloves in this morning's Home Hardware flyer for $8.97 a box I thought of you guys. That's 30% off of their regular price and is a decent price if they are of acceptable quality, I haven't checked them out in person so I can't speak to that.
The catalogue number is 1611-101 to 104 (different numbers for different sizes - which is a luxury not usually seen with the cheap hardware store gloves).

Cheers,
Bryan

p.s. It's been a looong time since I've been here. Hope everyone is doing well.
Glen Smith

Re: nitrile rubber gloves

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Bryan, any new projects in the works?
Denis

Post by Denis »

:sad

My local home hdwe only has M and L the XL are a different brand and not on sale

I prefer the nitrile as well

Denis
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Glen Smith wrote:Hi Bryan, any new projects in the works?
Hi Glen,
Lots of plans but no action! I've been overwhelmed by family stuff, plus last winter I started up Coldspring Paddling Instruction so have been busy starting and running a small business and climbing the learning curve that that entails. I have a partially completed canoe hull (used as a form for Mark Lafontaine's solo expedition canoe but never completed as a canoe of it's own) hanging in the garage, plus I would really like to build more kayaks (a performance kayak for myself, plus kayaks for kids).

I also have a handful of paddles in various states of completion including a cedar 2x4 destined to become a greenland paddle, a mostly-shaped kid's paddle, and several kid's paddle-blanks awaiting the plane.

All of that will have to wait until I take down the length of my "to do list" as I wrap up my first full season teaching kayak lessons.

Cheers,
Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Wow, I'm almost sorry I asked! :laughing