New builder: building space issue

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
no_dice

New builder: building space issue

Post by no_dice »

Hey there,

I was recently turned to Bear Mountain by some Nick Offerman videos and I would absolutely love to do a build. I have what I would describe as intermediate woodworking skills from various projects I've completed (beds, tables, cribs) so I don't really think I would be getting in too far over my head.

Problem being, I don't have a garage and although I have a large basement, I don't think I'd be able to get the canoe out if I were to build down there (window opening is only 20"). I was just wondering if there might be some ideas as to where I might be able to build something this big. I was thinking about maybe just getting some tarps and covering my deck for the summer, or maybe getting an igloo shelter and building in there.

Has anyone out there done a build without the use of a garage and/or dedicated workshop?

Many thanks!
fonz

Re: New builder: building space issue

Post by fonz »

When you have the will you will find a way. A portable outdoor shelter would do fine. There are many styles to choose from and are reasonable in price. The only draw back to building outside is controlling the temperature and humidity in a tarp shelter in the fiber glass and varnishing stages. Also the dust and dirt in the air. You won't be the first or last to build outside and I'm sure you will do just fine.
no_dice

Post by no_dice »

I have neighbors with garages that I'm sure wouldn't mind donating space for the varnishing stage, I just doubt they'd want to donate it for the entire build. Thanks for the advice!
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Would it be at all doable to cut a larger window into your basement? This would be nice to have anyway. You could even leave cutting the concrete until you were ready to pull the canoe out.

This said, one has to take lots of precautions when building in a basement. Close off any return air openings, and make sure you can ventilate well for dust and fumes.
-JIM-
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

no_dice,
While some have managed to build outdoors in a portable shelter, I would think that you would need to get the project done very quickly in order to stay within a favorable weather environment. Where do you live?

You will need to estimate the total amount of time that it will take as well as the amount of time you can dedicate each day. Of course, higher levels of detail and workmanship will take a lot more time. Staples versus stapleless construction, stems versus no-stems ... these decisions will greatly affect the construction time. Do you want a simple utilitarian canoe, or do you want something more artistic? If you enjoy the process of building as much as paddling itself, you will not want to rush your project.

There is nothing wrong with a simple canoe, built as quickly as possible. However, you will want to avoid the situation where you have a partially build canoe, winter is coming on, and you precious boat is out in the cold.

I built my canoe in my basement in Michigan. If I did not have a stairway leading straight up to an exterior door, I would have seriously considered installing an egress window in the basement, large enough to fit the canoe.

Good luck, you'll find a way!
- Jeff
no_dice

Post by no_dice »

Thanks for the advice, I live up in Ottawa Canada, so I figure I'd have a building window of about 3-4 months? I'm guessing June/July/August would be fine for building outdoors, and maybe half of may and half of October?

As for the boat, I think I'd like to make it somewhere in between utilitarian and artistic. Since it's going to be my first boat, I'd most likely be buying a kit from somewhere and doing the assembly myself.

I would love to install a bigger window in the basement, but I quite simply can't justify the cost just so I can build a canoe. I think the only way I can realistically build is if I can do it outside.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

no_dice wrote:Thanks for the advice, I live up in Ottawa Canada, so I figure I'd have a building window of about 3-4 months? I'm guessing June/July/August would be fine for building outdoors, and maybe half of may and half of October?
I suspect your window would be a bit bigger than that by maybe a few weeks.

One factor I didn't realise at first when building my kayak, is that the glue needs to be above about 12°C to dry properly without leaving a chalky appearance. That was using the Lee Valley 2002 GF glue.

Tents of tarp or poly draped around the canoe and a string of light bulbs can do a lot for raising the temperature a few degrees around the entire boat. I employed that strategy in my garage.

Cheers,
Bryan