Warped!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bryan Hansel

Warped!

Post by Bryan Hansel »

This is an interesting first for me. My hull warped like crazy. I think it's the 1/8- by 1.5-inch strips. I tried to pull it back together with the forms, but that made it worse, so I clamped on gunwales and it pulled everything into place and then I sanded the inside and removed the gunwales. I went out this morning and everything was fine with no warping.

Bizarre.

Glen Smith

Re: Warped!

Post by Glen Smith »

That is quite weird! Did you not install spreader sticks?
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I did and that seemed to make the warping worse. So, I removed them. I think the stiffness difference between the 3/16 and 1/8 strips is making the issue worse. After I glass the inside, I'll put them back in.
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

It could be the stain. There is an old woodworking axiom about whatever you do to one side of the wood you must do to the other.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I don't think so, because I used dye before. This build is outside, so I suspect that it's a moisture things, because it would disappear and reappear during the day.