inner stem questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danzant

inner stem questions

Post by Danzant »

several q's before I clamp on my inner stem.
1. pg 114 (canoecraft) mentions to round off the end of inside stem at keel line where it will be visible inside boat. Does this mean to round over the square end of the inner stem that lays against the mold?
2. The book mentions that the inner stem should be 7/8" wide. my prospector plan from bearmountain says that it should be 3/4". Should I continue to plane it down to reach the 3/4" or will the shaping of the stem take care of any excess that I have?
3. Should I cut the end of the stem even with the sheer line or leave extra to be taken off later?
Thanks in advance.
Snowman

Re: inner stem questions

Post by Snowman »

1. I round over the corners which are on the longitudinal axis (left and right of centre line). I also tapered the square end which butts up agains the last station (the square end with the end grain). I have a picture somewhere but I would need to search a bit. I believe Glen Smith has a picture of this taper as well (since I took my cue from Glen).

2. I would not bother taking it down to 3/4". It will naturally take the proper form/thickness when you shape the stems.

3. Leave the stem longer and cut it off at a later point (after you flip the boat). It comes in handy for certain things (like fixing i to the form, clamping, tying off persuader lines, etc)

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This is the only pic I could find which shows the end rounded over. The divot in the end is from the screw I drove through the form and into the inner stem to hold it in place. I also lightly rounded over the inner edges along the horizontal portion.
Danzant

Post by Danzant »

awesome. thanks guys. i'll have them mounted this afternoon. ready to start ripping my planks and shaping the stems... later. dz
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I forgot to mention, this shaping takes place before installing the stems.