Tiger Maple

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Tiger Maple

Post by wb9tpg »

Boy would I love to have some of this Tiger Maple for my gunnels. wow

BearLeeAlive

Re: Tiger Maple

Post by BearLeeAlive »

It is beautiful wood, to be certain. There are many suppliers of it throughout Canada and the US. I would hesitate to use it for gunnels though, as a straighter grain would likely be best, but it would sure look nice on the decks, and maybe even the thwarts as they are much more substantial in size. I am considering buying some nicely figured cherry for a couple pieces on my canoe.
-JIM-
TC in Twin Lake 1

Post by TC in Twin Lake 1 »

I happened to see a Wee Lassie II(same one I am building right now) whe we were camping. It was reclaimed redwood decking for the strips with the accent being two pieces of curly maple( which looked a lot like that ) with a darker strip between. It was very nice. The builder said that he experienced some chip out whe working though.

That is a beautiful piece of wood
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

maybe you can buy it as a laminate and finish off gunwales from a more manageable (and possibly lighter) timber with the laminate?
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Ripple Sycamore resembles this too and I just used some for the yolk on my most recent canoe.ImageImage.I do like to save these pretty timbers for the best bits!
Cheers
Alick
Ben

Post by Ben »

Here are the decks from my Freedom 17-9 and Bob's Special. Curly Maple is a pain to work with, but it is worth it. Obviously, it gets its figure from dramatic waves in the grain, which catch and tear on just about any blade that gets within 2 feet of it. Surface planers and planes are probably the worst.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice, Ben!