Launching the Prototype Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bryan Hansel

Launching the Prototype Canoe

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I launched the prototype canoe, which is tentatively named Ursa. We paddled three miles, which isn't enough distance to figure everything out, but I did get some initial impressions.

The canoe feels stable enough (Ilena thinks less than the Freedom, but I think about the same). It feels more stable than some Prospectors that I've used.

It turns very easily, but isn't a bear to keep going straight. I really like the combination. We took it into some tight quarters in local rock gardens on Lake Superior with about a 1/2-foot or so of swell. We also paddled on some small breaking waves, into slots, etc... We took it where I normally sea kayak. It turned very quick in the tight areas.

Speed felt fine. I need to get out the Freedom and paddle it side-by-side to compare the speed.

I paddled it Canadian-style solo (I'm really rusty!), and it was super fun paddled that way.

I still need to do some touch up work, sand, varnish, etc...

Here's a picture: (More here: More pics.)