Need a double check

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Need a double check

Post by wb9tpg »

Want someone to validate this plan for me. I'm getting ready to fiberglass it on Wednesday and want to validate this plan.

I have decided to use the brass stem bands I have after all. Currently, my outer stems are faired with the hull and the leading edge is narrower than the brass stem band. I'm thinking of fiberglassing the hull and then using a hand plane to shape the outer stem down so the stem bands will fit (the stems should get wider to match the bands as I plane then down). I can then seat the brass bands into a bedding compound made of thickened epoxy as they have cove backs.

Anybody see an issue doing it this way?
Patricks Dad

Re: Need a double check

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'd do the planing to get the surface of the stem wider before glassing (rather than after).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I'm with Randy. You could do it the way, you want, but fiberglass is rough on tools.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

The brass stem band is 3/8" wide. I can plane the outer stem so it's 3/8" wide now but the fiberglass will make this wider once it's applied won't it? I'm not sure how much thickness the fiberglass/epoxy will add to the hull/stem. Not sure if I'm expressing my question adequately or not.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The fiberglass won't add any appreciable thickness that you'll need to worry about. Plane it so that the stem band looks good when fitted on just the wood.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Both Brass Stem Bands are in place. I appreciate all the advice.

Now how do I keep the epoxy off the flat surface for the stem band when I fiberglass ?

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Don't worry about keeping epoxy off the flat surface when you glass. If you intend to "bed" them with thickened epoxy, you will want a layer of unthickened epoxy to soak into the stems anyway. If you are going to use a "regular" bedding compound, having the stems coated in epoxy is good too. Either way, don't worry about keeping the stems clear of epoxy. As for the holes you drilled for the screws, you can fill them with something and then remove it after you glass.

You will be removing the stem bands before you glass, right?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Yep, they'll come off or those straps would get in the way :laughing

I've not drilled it for screws yet. And I do plan on using thickened epoxy when I mount them. I figure I'll coat the good side with wax too to make the clean up easier too.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Fiberglass going on today; pucker factor is very high! Will post more pics later
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

All three coats are on, it only took twelve hours