Pulling hull back down to molds halfway through stripping

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TC in Twin Lake 1

Pulling hull back down to molds halfway through stripping

Post by TC in Twin Lake 1 »

I am about half way through stripping my wee lassie II with aspen strips. This wood has proven to be very stiff and does not like to twist except with very careful and patient placement of my u blocks and wedges to hold them down. I am able to do one strip at a time only but I am ok with it since I am still working full time and should be ready to hit it hard when I am jobless again in a bout a month.

Anyway, In the very cheeked areas at stem and stern The strips are pulled up at stations, I think, 3,4 and five. To pull it back down I am considering epoxying in some blocks at each station on the inside of the hull and pulling it back to the mold with string or rope to continue stripping and to allow me to fair,sand, and fiberglass the outside. I have tried hot glue but the aspen is just too strong for the glue to hold. I thought about fish line and I wonder what test I would need to use? The other problem with fish line is I am stripping with the cove up.

Does anyone have any pictures of something similar or other recommendations?

Thanks
Todd
Glen Smith

Re: Pulling hull back down to molds halfway through strippin

Post by Glen Smith »

Go to this link: http://www.greenval.com/builders.html and scroll down to th 5th picture. Martin shows a technique which I have tried with success but with one small difference, I drilled a clearance hole for the screw before gluing the blocks to the hull.
TC in Twin Lake 1

Post by TC in Twin Lake 1 »

Thanks, Glen. That is exactly whaat I was looking for. It is a "challenge" to get the aspen to do what I woant it to do using the stapleless method. DO you htink wood glue is strong enough?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, ordinary wood glue is fine. Let it set before screwing to stations.