Rice lake Skiff launched

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cff

Rice lake Skiff launched

Post by cff »

Edit: I finally joined photobucket so I'm updating my pics..

I finally launched my first cedar strip build. A rice lake skiff. I wanted a boat that I could cartop into algonquin for our family camping trips each summer. I wanted to use an outboad motor and didn't need another canoe (we have a swift kipawa) so after much internet searching i settled on the skiff. I purchased plans from noahs last september. I milled all the wood myself which I bought at home depot. They had 2x6 cedar boards for .99 cents per foot. 16 footers for less than $16! perfect. I started stripping in october and finished in november. Winter came and work halted till may. Fairing/glassing started with the spring weather.
Last edited by cff on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cff

Re: Rice lake Skiff launched

Post by cff »

(Second photo below should have been second photo above.) Then came gunnels... Ash outer with ash inner with scuppers made from cherry. I installed a cherry/birds eye maple and mahogany deck with ash dashboard( It turned out beautiful but added too much weight). Instead of the rear seat being made from multiple pieces I used a bench seat and moved in forward 18" to allow for use of the outboard motor. Sorry I don't have photos of all parts listed. Over all the boat is very stable. We have been through some big waves off boat wakes up in Muskoka with no problems. We can stand up in it when fishing and the boat is light enough for 2 people to load and unload it off the truck racks. I have not weighed it but I would say it is around 100lbs, possible more. it is over built but so am I. It gets lot's of comments and am proud to say I built it myself.
(in use in the muskokas)
Last edited by cff on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cff

Post by cff »

Boat was completed for the camping season. First outing the boat was taken to was the annual fishing derby in algonquin park. (This is a fantastic event. Fun for the whole family! The Mnr uses it's boats to take people fishing... free fish lunch. Prizes for the kids They even bring in the float plane to view up close)
I used the boat with an electric trolling motor. I went out and tooled around.. good times.
Last edited by cff on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That's a great looking skiff!
cff

Post by cff »

I've finally moved up to a 6hp. The boat moves nicely when I'm out alone. You can deffinatly tell it's not a planing hull when you're carrying passengers. On the other hand it paddles easily.. I found that out the hard way.
Here it is from last september up on rousseau. It's held up nicely except for a stint in 2011 where it spent a week on the racks on the truck in august.. The epoxy turned a bit milky.
No one really notices but me..