inside stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
finrod

inside stems

Post by finrod »

hi, i have a question

i'm working on the inside stems now and wondered how thick they must be..
it's for the 15° freedom canoe
you can answer me in inches if you like, i can find it then in mm

i show you with a picture so you know what i mean.

thanx in advance :smile

)))finrod(((
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"what's the point in talking about freedom, if you don't have the guts to build your own boat and sail the seven seas"
finrod

Re: inside stems

Post by finrod »

would be nice if someone could help me out with this one, i orderd my spokeshave on the internet and it will arrive in 3 days i hope, i think i won't be able to stop myself starting to shape them the moment they arrive :big grin

so does it matter how big they are or is there no problem with using 0.8 inch?

:rolling eyes
"what's the point in talking about freedom, if you don't have the guts to build your own boat and sail the seven seas"
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

When I did mine I used 3/4" or MORE for the dimension you highlighted in red. The book says 7/8" strips since you may not get them perfectly aligned with you glue up the laminations and may trim them narrower to the 3/4" target. Mine ended up being 7/8 wide since I didn't have any misalignment at all. I didn't think it worth the effort to bring them down to 3/4" and have not have any issues with that decision.
finrod

Post by finrod »

thanx for the help!

can't wait to start shaping them,
man, this game is more addictive than i thought! :cool
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

You can use whatever width you'd like. I usually use 3/4-inch cedar strips for the stems. I also don't use an internal stem -- saves weight.
finrod

Post by finrod »

realy does save weight, but how do you hold the strips together? can you just glue them at the ends?
:thinking
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

It probably saves a couple of pounds. I never weighed the stems to figure it out. I always glass around my stems, which some builders don't do when using the internal/external stems.

Here's a few pictures of the method: 2011 Canoe Build
finrod

Post by finrod »

i think you can only do that method if you use staples at the ends no? if you would clamp the ends together you would not be able to put the outside stem on proper..
my plan is not to use any staples so i go for the inside stem, maybe my next canoe i can do like this, if i have some more exp with it..
hmm makes me think.. :thinking

nice method and thanx for the link mate! :wink

(can't wait for my spokeshave to arrive!!)
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I debated staples or not and finally ended up using the staples. I figured I had enough to learn and I should not make if harder on myself the first time.
finrod

Post by finrod »

well its easier for sure and it goes faster but i'm affraid i will not get the holes filled nicely if i use staples, i read about filling them with water so they close again, but i don't trust that method.. i think i wouldnt like the end result and blame myself i didnt use the "non staple' technique..

i realy dont think its not harder for yourself to do it without staples, if you just know how to do it, it accualy saves a lot of time if you dont have to fill the holes i think..

i guess it realy doesnt matter if you got both techniques under control but until i'm convinced of a good way to fill the holes i wont use staples.. my point of view :thinking

how did you handle the holes, were you able to fill them properly?
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I didn't fill them at all. I just took my canoe off the forms and can see where the epoxy wicked all the way to the inside of the canoe. The look does not bother me