pics of my canoe in progress 'freedom 15'

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
finrod

Re: pics of my canoe in progress 'freedom 15'

Post by finrod »

one more :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"what's the point in talking about freedom, if you don't have the guts to build your own boat and sail the seven seas"
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

Hello finrod,
I also built a Freedom 15-I love it!!-I'm sure you will also. I spent about 9 months making it, so don't rush. Take your time and enjoy the work as well as the result. Here is a website with pictures of the process that I did
http://picasaweb.google.com/cboaternc/F ... StripCanoe#

hope this helps you in some way.

I noticed that you just got a spoke shave-. I used a small(3") handplane for fairing the hull after all of the strips were in place. I found that a wood rasp and sure form file were best for shaping the stems. I bought a spoke shave, but never actually used it very much.

Feel free to email me if I can help.
whitewaterevans@earthlink.net

Vann Evans
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi finrod
I think using padauk will give you some interesting colours.I have some mini chests of drawers I made from it.The way it changes colour is fascinating.
It started off really bright orange.almost luminous in its intensity!
Then a few months later it darkened and darkened.After a few years it was almost black and then something amazing began to happen.Slowly but surely the contrast in the lighter and darker grain became more pronounced and now it looks like rosewood!
I have never known a timber to behave like this (getting lighter with age so dramatically especially after it has first darkened!)
also I think it would be tough to steam and ash is used for stems simply because it s an easy timber to bend.
Are you going to use some padauk in the planking too?that would be cool.
Cheers
Alick
finrod

Post by finrod »

jip, i love padouk also :) its a very special type of wood, just love the coulour of it!
i'm using it in the planking also, i wonder what it will look like when finished, after the glassing and all, just hope its not to bright but i think it will look very nice, dont you? :)

heres where i am now, first strip of padouk is on, just thinking about a pattern for where to place them as i am planking :)

picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"what's the point in talking about freedom, if you don't have the guts to build your own boat and sail the seven seas"