what size and type of clamps?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mark m

what size and type of clamps?

Post by mark m »

New guy here
I'm usually able to find stuff in the search but "clamp" nets me 27 pages to go through!

So... What size of clamps is best? and what sort of assortment would you guys recommend for a first time builder? I've got about half a dozen already but not sure they're suitable - a few c-clamps and f-clamps

I understand anywhere from 12-20 is required
I'm going to try to do stapleless

Canadian Tire has c-clamps on for 50% off so I thought I might stock up

thanks
Patricks Dad

Re: what size and type of clamps?

Post by Patricks Dad »

I have a ton of "F" clamps of various lengths (8" to 15"). I have a bunch of C-clamps that I don't use too much. I have many spring clamps that I use all the time... You can't have too many. When I put on gunwales, I'll scrape up everything I have and end up using about 100 total. You will find creative ways to use what you have on many occasions. Keep any eye out for sales and collect as you go. The don't have to be high-end quality clamps as you won't need to clamp extremely tightly in almost all cases. For just stripping, you will need a clamp per station mold per side plus a few to use for twists and controlling the strip at various points (e.g., at the stems).

If you browse this site you'll find lots of pictures of clamps in action and you'll get lots of good ideas on how to approach the tricky places (but most of the time you'll stumble on those tricky places while you're in the shop and the glue is setting - that's when the creativity really comes out!).

best of luck on your build! Post some pictures for us as you go along.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I have a ton of different clamps as I do other types of woodworking. For my canoe, I found that the following types of clamps worked best for me so far. You don't need fancy and expensive clamps.

For scarfing, I used large binder clips from Staples.

15 to 20 3" Clamps I bought from Harbor Freight. Used to clamp the stems and to clamp L-brackets to the forms. These C clamps are cheap and effective. I may actually buy more to use on the gunwales

I also got 4 of the pictured Irwin clamps. They worked great to clamp the strips to the inner stems (staple and clamp). The staple keeps the clamp from sliding off.

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

i'm heading into the final stages of stripping in my build. i'm using a staples system similar to the one used in the canoecraft book. i was using a 4in c clamp per station per side, so 26 clamps, plus a couple of irwin spring clamps got me most of the way up the stems.

someone should start a canoe builders clamp co-op! :thinking
Ben

Post by Ben »

I purchased 40 6" quick grip clamps when I built my first boat. They were on sale at Menards for 4 for $15. It was one of the best investments I have made! I am always working alone, so it imperative that I can operate the clamps with one hand.
Don

Post by Don »

I have done several stapless and use dozens of small spring clamps for stripping, a few f clamps and c clamps for the stems and everything I have for the gunnels. I also use electrical tape to hold strips together along with fishing line, light bungee chords, wedges and anything else that springs to mind when I need something to apply pressure. I use a lot of plywood u shaped blocks to go over the strip at a right angle and which then can then be clamped to the form. I don't find spring clamps put enough pressure on between forms and c clamps and f clamps either get in the way or distort strips with their weight. The stretchy materials seem to do a better job in those places. I also use hot glue to hold the strips to the forms.
Good luck
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.