Thwart mounting question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Thwart mounting question

Post by wb9tpg »

I'm thinking of mounting my thwart flush with the gunnels and I'm wondering if you guys think this will work.

1. Inwales glued to hull
2. Cut thwart to length mounted between inwales
3. On each side, drill two 1/2" holes through the hull, inwale and into the thwart end grain
4. Epoxy 1/2" hardwood dowels into the holes; trim flush to outside of hull
5. Glue on outwales which cover the dowels

I figure this should be very strong and the thwart will be flush with the gunwales like the picture on the michneboat site below. You guys see anything wrong with trying this?

Glen Smith

Re: Thwart mounting question

Post by Glen Smith »

I installed mine with a mortise and tenon joint but I like your idea. That should work without any difficulties and be strong.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The last boat I built, I used a biscuit on each end of the thwart. It was plenty strong. Your approach should work fine (but 1/2" dowels seems overkill - how thick is your thwart?).

be sure to use unthickened epoxy on the endgrain before using thickened epoxy for the final joint....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Right on Randy, I somehow didn't notice the 1/2" diameter. That would be excessive, 3/8" would be better if the thwart is 3/4" thick. Even 1/4" would be sufficient since you will have two dowels at each end.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I purchased my thwart from Edscanoe.com as I want to get this done and this would save me a bunch of time. The cross section at the ends measures 3" wide by 3/4" thick. I think I can use three 1/4" dowels on each side and it'll be very strong

Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

It looks great, but I wonder about the strength ?
I've always hung mine with a 1/4in carrage bolt, but I can't argue with the looks of yours !
Mine are sometimes abused, specially on BWCA trips.
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Whitworks

Post by Whitworks »

Really like the look of the flush mounted thwart and am likely to use it on my Prospector. Am also thinking of installing 'T' or triangular shaped stainless steel plates underneath screwed into and linking the inner gunwales and thwart to enhance structural resistance to hull distortion in rough water etc. Would feel better if the dowelling/glue had a little mechanical help.

Or is this overkill?

Mark
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

It's over-kill for any on-water circumstance. The thwart will however likely experience its greatest stress when riding on the top of your car at high speeds, especially in cross-winds and when (overly) tightly strapped to the roof on long trips. Those ratchet straps are wonderful but you can apply a great force with them.... That said, I still think steel "T" brackets are probably overkill if you have good glue/epoxy joints between the thwart and gunwales (but they won't hurt either).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Karl Huebner

Post by Karl Huebner »

I cut small pieces of marine grade plywood as reinforcements. Seems to work for me.

Of course, most of my decks are strips glued onto marine grade plywood... They seem to be plenty strong too.
Karl
16' Prospector style canoe
17' BMB Freedom 17
17' BMB Endeavour
14' plastic kayak
14' McCarthy style Wee Lassie II
1 Thomas Hill lapstrake Daisy May canoe
Coming Soon Freedom 16.2 solo
To be repaired
1923 St. Charles River
1967 Langford
wb9tpg