Tips on removing a deep staple

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
aliguori

Tips on removing a deep staple

Post by aliguori »

Hi,

I just finished cutting a center line and started closing up the other end. In my excitement, I think I stapled a plan into the inner stem instead of the last station mold. As a result, the staple has gone about 1/16" below the wood.

Does anyone have any tips for getting it out with minimal damage? I was thinking of trying to use a needle and thread to pull it out gently but it may be too deep for that.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Rod Tait

Re: Tips on removing a deep staple

Post by Rod Tait »

You might try prying it out with a small staple removing tool. Just use a backing board so that the prying does not dent into the planking. If it does, you may be successful in pouring boiled water over the plank to swell it back out again.
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Don't forget to consider a "super magnet". Some of these are very powerful and after you have soaked the wood to soften it, put the magnet over it. I have done this before so I know it works... Good Luck...
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
wpeluso

Post by wpeluso »

Careful use of a small pair of needle-nose pliers should work well.
aliguori

Post by aliguori »

Thanks for the suggestions. My magnets were apparently not strong enough and since it was below the wood, there was no way to get it out without bruising the wood around it.

I haven't shaped this part of the hull yet (I haven't shaped the stems as I'm waiting for the brass bead to arrive) but after I shape the hull here, I'm hoping that some hot water will raise the bruise enough to make it not noticeable.
aliguori

Post by aliguori »

I should add, I still have no idea how this happened. Of the 1000+ staples I put in, none of the others even came close to going this deep. Must have been bad luck.
mick allen

Major surgery alternative

Post by mick allen »

An alternative to major surgery:
If your staple orientation is across the grain, another technique is to use a sharp thin scoop (curve probably better than angle) chisel to carefully lift out a tiny scoop (say at very least 1/2" or 1.5cm long) of wood up to the staple that will allow access under the staple. The scoop width and type will depend on the depth, size, and awkwardness of the staple. The depth of the scoop should be barely more than to the underside of the staple top. The tiny piece would be separate and should be saved.

With this minimal access to the staple, it can be carefully removed and the saved scoop of wood can be glued back in place making sure that everything (woodgrain) aligns as before.

Depending on grain crossing alignments and amount of surface anticipated to be removed on final fairing and sanding, the scoop of wood could possibly be moved ever so imperceptably forward to very slightly close the gap caused by some previous inadvertent staple over-excavation, heh heh.

another approach,
-mick