varnish brushes

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fonz

varnish brushes

Post by fonz »

I am not an expert but I am in the process of finishing my 7th canoe. In the past I have used an OX hair Chinese bristle brush made by the Purdy company. Last week I purchased a new brush From Lee Valley Tools. This brush is a Bager, Sunk, and Hog hair bristle brush. it costs about $50. bucks. I know its a lot of money but if you look after it, you will have a great brush for many years. I used it to-night and it is a great brush. It is the best varnish brush I have ever used. By the way I use Epifanes varnish
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: varnish brushes

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I think 7 canoes puts you in the "near expert" category :)

I found that putting down an even coat of varnish was a bit of a challenge. I have built 1 canoe (working on a second). On my first canoe, I put 6 coats on the outside. By the 6th, I was getting the hang of it. But even then, I found a sag or a skip (in the right light and well after the fact).

I used a badger hair brush and Petit Z Spar Flagship. No complaints on the varnish or the brush (just the operator).
Patricks Dad

Re: varnish brushes

Post by Patricks Dad »

Bager, Sunk, and Hog hair
wow! what kind of breading program do you need to put in place to get that animal?
:laughing
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com