Any thoughts on making Seat Backrest?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Moonman

Any thoughts on making Seat Backrest?

Post by Moonman »

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has made a seat back rest. Not sure, but I don't think I have seen anything like I'm envisioning. Anyone have any experience with building a back rest? I know there are several models out there that are 'reclining', or at least attach to the seat and maintain the back angle by using straps connected to the front rails of the seat. I'm thinking of building something out of cedar, maybe removable, that would slide into the scuppers on my boat. It would not be very high, covering my entire back, more akin to a 'back band', more commonly seen in kayaks and pack boats, although I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Moonman.
Patricks Dad

Re: Any thoughts on making Seat Backrest?

Post by Patricks Dad »

You've seen my backrest/yoke contraption, right?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Hi Randy,

yes of course, your seat/backrest/yoke combo looks great. I'm thinking rather of something that is not attached to the seat and can be taken optionally - some trips I take it, some trips I don't. Or even on the same trip, not use it all the time, but then use it if needed etc.

Moonman.
DSJ

Post by DSJ »

Here's what I built. Folds flat, four bolts hold them on and it takes a few minutes to remove.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Moonman, I think your idea should work great. You would need to be able to have the back band fabric fairly taut. Ensuring that it is in the proper position for you (front to back) would be the toughest thing to ensure, unless you have scuppers at exactly the right spot. It would be an easy thing to make a prototype for and try out, just two stick and a piece of fabric.
-JIM-
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Hi Jim,

I've been mulling over a few approaches to this. Right now I'm thinking of maybe making something back band shaped, out of cedar. 6 inches high and 16 inches wide. Concave in cross section at the middle of my back towards my side, and also slightly convex, top to bottom so it slopes away from my back at the top and bottom edges. I think a form or small molds will let me do this..... As luck would have it, I actually do have scuppers at approximately the right spot. Will probably need to offset the mounting front or back by a minor amount though. It might try and make a simpler prototype first though.

By the way, weren't you building the Kite version of the Osprey? How is it coming along?

Moonman.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Moonman wrote:By the way, weren't you building the Kite version of the Osprey? How is it coming along?

Moonman.
Very slow. I took some time off of building it to deal with life, both personal and business, as well as finish up some old projects around the home. I just recently got back at it. It is sitting ready to glass right now. I hope to do this over the next week, and pop it off the forms.

I kind of like the fabric idea for the backrest band, it would have to be something with little stretch though. This would make it easier to stow when not in use, and probably lighter too. Because the seat is below the gunwales, you would only need short supports and a narrow band, maybe 4-6" high.
-JIM-
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

h yes, life. That's always the way. I know exactly what you mean. This back rest project isn't high priority for me so it may be a while. It would be nice o have it done for my May trip but more likely summer.

And DSJ, wow I love your backrest! Really nice work there. What was the final weight?

Moonman
DSJ

Post by DSJ »

Moonman wrote:
And DSJ, wow I love your backrest! Really nice work there. What was the final weight?

Moonman
I wasnt really worried about weight in this build and i used red oak for the trim and seats. I'd guess the seatbacks are about a pound each.