Bubbles in the third coat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
aliguori

Bubbles in the third coat

Post by aliguori »

I glassed the exterior of the hull yesterday. I'm very happy with the results modulo a few bubbles that seem to have formed at the top of the hull. They are very tiny but still noticable if you look very carefully. After a bit of forum searching, it looks like I should have stuck around for an hour after finishing...

At this point, I'm guessing that I can just sand the hull and hope that more or less deals with the bubbles? I'm assuming that since they are just in the third layer, they shouldn't have any major structural affect on the canoe.

Does this sound reasonable or should I sand the bubbles and apply more epoxy to the affected spots?
fonz

Re: Bubbles in the third coat

Post by fonz »

If you are sure the bubbles are in the third application I would use a cabinet scraper on the bubbles then lightly sand with 120 grit paper. If the bubbles disappear you are in the clear. Just be careful with the cabinet scraper not to go to deep. If this does not work I would sand off the third coat and coat the boat again. It is worth the extra cost and effort if the bubbles can be seen and you the builder will always see them when others may not. Its the time to do it know before 4-8 coats of varnish are applied. Bubbles in the third coat will have little or no effect on the integrity or the boats strength.
aliguori

Re: Bubbles in the third coat

Post by aliguori »

Thanks, the bubbles are very small so I hope light sanding will do the trick.