Seat position for Endeavour 17

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mynot

Seat position for Endeavour 17

Post by mynot »

I am in the process of building an Endeavour 17 from the plans and offsets in the book Kayakcraft by Ted Moore. This is my first attempt in strip boat building and so far so good. Being of an anal nature I think I am taking the time to do a good job. The hull and deck has been laid up without staples and it looks really nice and tight. The fiberglass steps are complete and that was the most nerve wracking task to date. Now I am ready to cut the opening for the cockpit and have a question in this regard.

I have been lucky enough to acquire a commercial Kayak seat and need to modify it slightly to fit the contour of the hull shape. Then I will attach this seat into the Kayak. My question is where exactly should it go? I am thinking that the center of weight of the paddler sitting in the seat should be positioned in the center of buoyancy of the hull design to perhaps slightly aft of this position. Is this a correct assumption? If this assumption is correct, where is the center of buoyancy for this hull design? I have combed the book a couple of time and cannot find this piece of information. Once I have established exactly where the seat will go then I can lay out the cockpit opening. One option is to enable the seat to be adjusted fore and aft by a few inches. If so, how much movement and how far in front and behind center of buoyancy would you suggest?

Once I know where the seat will be then I can establish the rear lip of the cockpit opening.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated. :thinking
willo

Re: Seat position for Endeavour 17

Post by willo »

When I built the endeavour I did not have plans and was also puzzled by the seat placement. I used the layout from the plans I have for the venture. The book does not say this but centre appears to be at station 9. I layed the template out just forward of station 8 to just aft of station 10.This was the only boat I have built without buying plans, and likely the last. Plans make things simpler.
mynot

Post by mynot »

Hi Willo, thanks for your reply and sharing your experience.

I am wondering if anyone out there who has purchased the plans for this Kayak would be so kind as to look at them and help me out. I was under the impression that all the data necessary to completely build one of these Kayaks was in the book.

Thanks in advance.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

mynot

You are not alone in your quandry. I have also been down the same road (as have many others - http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3 ... ur+cockpit). Kayakcraft is lacking cockpit placement details.

You can also find the same question (with the response) here:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3 ... ur+cockpit
the back edge of the cockpit is positioned about 2.5 or 3” aft of station #10.
You want to make sure you put your cockpit opening far enough aft so that you can get the balance right. I placed mine based on the info noted above (I believe that is where I found it - or Glen Smith helped me out). If I were to do it again, I would give myself another inch+. I found that for an unballasted kayak, the paddler's CG needs to be just a bit more aft than what I have in order for it to track well. Consequently, my seatback that I made (stripped with a web & bungee support) is not installed and I paddle with my back against the cockpit coaming. The balance is good this way. I rarely paddle with gear or ballast.

My Endeavour is hanging in the garage at this time. If you are really stuck or want confirmation, I can get it down tomorrow. Maybe it will make the ice on the river melt faster too :wink
Snowman back East
mynot

Post by mynot »

Hi Snowman, thanks for your reply. There is no rush in providing this info as I am currently in the west doing my ski bum thing. Probably be another month before I am home and ready to start cutting.

I am not as large as you at around 150 lbs and 5'9” tall so am thinking that my CG might be slightly aft of a larger paddler. I am also thinking that I do need to mount my seat in a way so I can have a few inches of adjustment.

When you do take your kayak down in the spring I would really appreciate if you would give me a reference of the back of the cockpit opening.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

mynot

I will measure my kayak soon. Today we hit 23C and it looks like the river might break up soon.

Enjoy the skiing - my last ski was this week and with the warm weather and rain this week, the base is nearly gone :crying

Snowman
Snowman back East