Varnish recommendation

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Varnish recommendation

Post by wb9tpg »

Does Bear Mountain recommend a specific varnish that I should use for my canoe? I know there is a number on the market but I was wondering if they had a specific recommendation.
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Varnish recommendation

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I looked in Ted's book for a specific varnish. No name mentioned. But if you look at the picture on page 175 (6th printing) you will see a can of Pettit and a can of Epifanes (both top of the line products).

I think by the time you reach the varnish stage, you do not want to cut corners. Use the best quality you can buy. I used Pettit Z-Spar Flagship varnish (2015)....... expensive, but nice to work with.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

I also used Pettit. Flagship on the first 3 coats and (because the store ran out) Captains on the 4th. Just don't buy the stuff from the big box stores--it won't provide the UV protection that the true marine grade varnishes do (or so I'm told). Also, make sure the varnish you do choose is compatible with the brand of epoxy you are using.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

What the other guys said...

I use Epifanes and nothing else. There might be others out there but the others which I have tried have left me disappointed...

You can get Epifanes in in a clear gloss as well as a satin (use for final coat(s) of hull interior).

I buy mine from http://www.thechandleryonline.com/advan ... ds=Epifane

Snowman
Snowman back East
Mihun09

Post by Mihun09 »

I use Epifanes as well. None of the box stores sell actual varnish anymore, only urethanes. Epifanes is pricey, $42 a litre for me and presently I am on my second litre for the wood canvas canoe I am restoring this winter.
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

There was a guy who did test panels with various varnishes and he found the cheap stuff outperformed the expensive stuff in terms of weathering/deterioration. I used the cheap stuff Helmsman from Canadian Tire. No problems with it. But is it still sold?
DSJ

Post by DSJ »

I've had very good results with Home Hardware's wood shield brand of spar varnish. $21 a quart

I tried a varathane waterbourne exterior clear latex but I found that it turns cloudy when the canoe gets wet.
Mihun09

Post by Mihun09 »

Stencil wrote:There was a guy who did test panels with various varnishes and he found the cheap stuff outperformed the expensive stuff in terms of weathering/deterioration. I used the cheap stuff Helmsman from Canadian Tire. No problems with it. But is it still sold?
I believe the guy you are referring to is Mike McCrea and the results of his testing was on Solotripping. The link to that is here... http://www.solotripping.com/community/s ... php?t=3853

Here in Winnipeg, neither CanTire nor the Depot sell Helmsman Spar "Varnish", just Helmsman Spar Urethane. Most of the clear finishes they do sell are water based so one needs to look carefully at labels before buying.
willo

Post by willo »

I have used Captains Z-spar and I really liked it but at the tripple cost of cheaper Behr that comes from Home Depot , I am a bit undecided. The Behr spar varnish works well with West epoxy. I have also seen good results from wood shield from home hardware. Cheap brands protect, as long as they have uv inhibitors, read the can. Cheap is not always cheap, but it will not brush on as nice as the Captains.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Thanks everyone, Jamestown Distributors had a sale on the Epifanes and I also had a free shipping code so I ordered from there.