Varnish sanding question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JoeV

Varnish sanding question

Post by JoeV »

I put my first coat on last evening and it looks good. Very please with the process. Use a form brush approx 75/25 mixture. However, I notice that my attention to detail on sanding the hull prior was not as good as I would have like it. Many imperfection, mainly scatches from sanding the glass are showing up. So, looks like I am going to sand off that first coat and get the hull a litlle smoother.

My question is how long do I wait to sand that first coat of varnish. I know its 24 hrs to lightly sand and re-apply, but what about removing the entire coat?

Thanks
Joe
Stencil

Re: Varnish sanding question

Post by Stencil »

You can try sanding the finish. If the paper clogs right away wait. Try a finger-nail. Your nail should scratch the surface if the varnish is cured. If the finish peels it hasn't cured. To speed curing get air moving over the surface with a fan or a heater blowing air.
JoeV

Re: Varnish sanding question

Post by JoeV »

After 24 hours, the varinsh was dry enough to sand it off. :tu So I resanded and last night re-varished and it looks much nicer. Now, light sanding tonight and coats 2 and 3.