UV protection

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
omgh

UV protection

Post by omgh »

Is there an alternative to varnish for UV protection on a cedar strip canoe; for example, "303 Aerospace Protectant" or "Maguire's wax: has a huge following throughout the marine and automotive industries".
A boat builder in the UK suggested that wax may be used instead of varnish which might be an easier application.
Any comments? Thanks.
Glen Smith

Re: UV protection

Post by Glen Smith »

Varnish is not only a UV inhibitor, it is also a sacrificial coating which will take scratches and protect the epoxy. Scratches and gouges are common on a wood/epoxy canoe and the varnish will require ocassional sanding and re-application. Some times the scraches and gouges will reach all the way into the epoxy , fiberglass and even the wood. If you apply wax or a silicone based product over the epoxy, you will have a hard time performing repairs because the new epoxy will not adhere to these products.
83glt

Post by 83glt »

I'm curious, how would one remove a wax finish if needed? I can't see how sanding would be an option. Would a chemical stripper of some sort be required?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I imagine there must be something that can remove the wax. Either a stripper of some sort or a product used for removing wax from floors.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

the usual way to remove wax from a relatively non porous surface is with surface preparation agent. there's a couple of products i use. one is called prepsolv. another is called "wax and grease remover" by house of kolor. i'm sure you will find others.
omgh

Post by omgh »

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll carry on with the varnish.
Michael