outside stem thickness

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
backpaddler

outside stem thickness

Post by backpaddler »

After shaping the outside stem so it basically follows the lines of the planking, the leading edge of the stem is about 1/4" wide......not so good for a 3/8" stem band. Can anyone see a problem with shaving down the thickness (the leading edge) just a bit in order to achieve a 3/8" leading edge for a brass stem band.
The other thing I was considering is to leave the stem band off and put a strip of 6oz. cloth about 3-4 inches wide over the leading egde of the stem, sand and feather it into the planking and then lay up the rest of the canoe over that.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gene Burreson

Re: outside stem thickness

Post by Gene Burreson »

I don't see any problem with shaving down the outer stem to get 3/8". The inside stem is the main structural element. The outer stem is mainly to cover the ends of the planking and provide some bumper protection. Many canoes don't even have outer stems. I don't have any experience wrapping glass over the stem, so I can't comment on that approach.
Good luck
Gene
backpaddler

Post by backpaddler »

Thanks Gene
I have built a different kind of strip canoe many years ago that, as you say, had no stems at all. It just had several strips of glass wrapped over the ends before the whole thing was laid up. served me well for many years, just not as refined a look as this is going to be.
I think I will shave them down so the brass stem fits, I do like the look of that not to mention the benefit of saving the outer stem from being beaten up.

Thanks again
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I am not a fan of the brass band on the stem. I like the look of wood. I guess I have to ask what the brass band actually protects against. All of my scrapes come from the unseen rock and a brass band would have been useless to protect. If you wet foot, I can't see the need for armor plate on the stem.

I shaped the stem on my Ranger and ended up with about a 1/4" as you describe. I then rounded that flat end and the stem looks perfect. The hull lines flow to the stem nicely.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Be sure to cut your glass strips on the bias so the will wrap around the stem nicely (if you just cut them paralle to the glass strands, you will not be able to get them to wrap well).

Also, consider putting on a couple layers (successively narrower or wider as you go).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
backpaddler

Post by backpaddler »

All great info, decisions,decisions.....
Thanks to all, I really appreciate the help.