Moving Canoe on strongback

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Preacher

Moving Canoe on strongback

Post by Preacher »

Hello all,

I have a problem, i have beeb trying to finish my first canoe before i move in July.
The settlement date has been brought foreward two months and i am moving in 2 weeks now.
My unfinished canoe will need to be moved.
All the planking has just been finished, ready to sand now and attached the stems.
My logic is i remove the legs from the stong back, so the canoe will sit with a low centre of gravuty and now fall over in the move (only about 4 or 5 miles away).
I would think pulling the staples would be beneficial also as any twisting in the stongback may not be passed on trough the stems.
Or, should i rush to finish the job and get the glass on before moving it?
I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on moving.
Thanks
willo

Re: Moving Canoe on strongback

Post by willo »

I sold my farm when I had my first canoe 1/2 stripped. I had to move it to storage and then again into the garage at the new house. I didn;t do anything special to it, just put it across the back of a truck and later into a moving van . I just made sure things were level again when I started back on it.It turned out fine and is the one I paddle most often.I would not pull the staples as they will help keep every thing solid so nothing moves.No need to rush, it will move fine.
Preacher

Re: Moving Canoe on strongback

Post by Preacher »

willo wrote:I sold my farm when I had my first canoe 1/2 stripped. I had to move it to storage and then again into the garage at the new house. I didn;t do anything special to it, just put it across the back of a truck and later into a moving van . I just made sure things were level again when I started back on it.It turned out fine and is the one I paddle most often.I would not pull the staples as they will help keep every thing solid so nothing moves.No need to rush, it will move fine.
Thanks Willo, looking for some pleace of mind!