Fiberglass fleck

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
HighPlainsDrifter

Fiberglass fleck

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I just finished my "fiberglass weekend" and thought things went pretty good.

I worked alone and my wife did the mixing (an occasional bit of squeegee work). I use Systems III Silver Tip laminating resin with slow hardner and 6 oz glass. I ordered my glass with the resin from Systems III.

Shop temperature was rock solid at 75 (F) before, during, and after wet-up, coat 2, and coat 3. I used "time tapes" to govern my squeegee work. Minor squeegee marks (on both the wet-up and coat 2) were dry brushed. Coat 3 was put down with brush. Basically the resin never got ahead of me. The final job has a few minor sags and some areas with a bit of orange peel, but looks good.......

So, as I inspected my work, I found a bit of glass fleck...... then I started looking and found more than a bit. The fleck shows up regardless of position on the hull and the "long axis' of these tiny flecks are all at right angles to the keel line. This fleck also shows up in some bias cut strips of glass that I am using to beef up the hull adjacent to the stems.

Oddly I never noticed flecks on the Merlin that I built until I went looking. Yup, flecks are there too (materials and methods same as the Ranger I am currently building)

Ok, what gives? The flecks are not going to trash the job, but I would like to know what is going on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.