Bow Measurment

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sdeforest

Bow Measurment

Post by sdeforest »

I am building a Venture and I have the bow station cut out, but the offset measurements say that the measurements provided are for the inside edge of the outside stem. Do I cut off another inch off my station if my inside stem is an inch thick? Thanks for your help.
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Bow Measurment

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Off-hand........ NO. Stem material is usually 3/4" thick. If your material is 1", then you are only fat by 1/4".
If you have not bent the stem material, then run it through a surface planer to get to specs. I would not use the 1" material if you don't modify the stem molds. That extra 1/4" will be a pain when doing the rolling bevel
sdeforest

Re: Bow Measurment

Post by sdeforest »

I think I figured it out. The offset measurement information should say inside edge of the inside stem, so what I have is good. The plans call for a 1" inside stem and I have some 4mm marine plywood I can layer to get close to what I need. Thanks for your input.