laying up first coat of fiberglass

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
backpaddler

laying up first coat of fiberglass

Post by backpaddler »

I was wondering if anyone has experience with rolling on the first coat of resin? I realize that there is some concern for bubbles, but my plan is to use the technique posted by Whitworks in "tips and techniques". The post was "squeegeeing alternative".
I think rolling the first layer would get the resin on the cloth quicker than a brush and then the subsequent rolling out with paper towel and tipping off would take care of any bubble issues.......or maybe I'm in for some problems I don't want?
Any comments welcome.

Thanks
Bruce
fonz

Re: laying up first coat of fiberglass

Post by fonz »

Hello Back paddler. I Have built 10 canoes and I have used a roller on every application . From the first to the last coat with no problems. The only advise that I will give you is to role very slowly . If you role to fast you will a bubble issue.
backpaddler

Post by backpaddler »

Thanks Fonz. I chickened out at the last minute and went with the brush application for the first coat but then rolled the second fill coat and was very happy with the result.
I may try the roller on the next build.
Thanks for the input
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

After rolling on the epoxy I like using a heat gun..particularly on the fill coats and when aplying graphite coats to the hull....
Found this on the net last year...Quote:Judicious use of a heat gun is quite effective at busting bubbles. It lowers the viscosity of the resin and expands the air in bubbles, causing them to pop. You can just make out the little craters of bubbles popping in the video. Many bubbles are attached to little specks of dust, the heat does a good job of leveling out the dust and making a smoother surface.
http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillem ... _and_heavy